Thinkcap release 0.9.1

All news related to ARIES, Thinklab and the ISU will appear on this low-traffic forum.

Thinkcap release 0.9.1

Postby ferdinando » 30 Jul 2013 3:46 pm

Dear all,

after a long wait, there is now a new release of Thinkcap at the usual place. It's for Win64 only; other architectures may follow courtesy of the respective maintainers. There are many changes in this one, and while as usual not all functions are complete, it should offer a much better user experience. If you are modeling actively, you need this one because there have been language changes, so your models will not compile in the previous versions.

As announced earlier, there is enough new in this release to warrant an interactive feature tour. Please let me know in the comments if you would like to have a webinar where we can touch base and I can show you what's new. I'm available most of the time until the first week of September.

Some improvements (not counting the language changes):

• Much faster load times for models and context images, due to caching of all remote information;
  • Bookmarks and annotations to mark places in the code and model objects for quick reference;
  • All changes should now be properly coordinated with the GUI, and errors will propagate to the interface so that they're immediately visible;
  • Improved feedback from the server so that error messages (such as wrong URLs in data sources) will be notified;

The system now can read a license file that says who you are and what you can do with it. You don't need a license for the time being; when you do, you'll be able to create one by yourself at the integratedmodelling.org site. You will not have any restrictions of usage or have to pay or demonstrate anything.

The editor will now let you make many less mistakes than it did before, which means that you may write wrong things that were silently passed before and they will now show errors.

If you are not modeling actively, you may want to wait as the download is, as always, gigantic; some features that are incomplete or missing but are coming soon are:

• Help system containing a usage manual, started by Ken and Elena and being updated by yours truly, and some reference to the language that will improve with time;
  • Automatic and transparent download of the im.* and org.aries.* projects so that you won't need to worry about them unless you want to;
  • The full suite of working ARIES modules should be ready by end of August (planned) .

Let me know if you have any issues with the distribution.

Thank you,
ferdinando
ferdinando
Site Admin

Re: Thinkcap release 0.91

Postby ferdinando » 05 Aug 2013 10:35 am

A first online demo to show new features and changes will take place today, Monday Aug 5th, at 16:00 CET. Anyone can attend. The conversation will be geared to the core ARIES team so there may be less detail on basic aspects; if you want a more introductory one, or anything else, just ask. I'm fairly available all of August.

Go2Meeting link for the meeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/248565269. See you there.

ferdinando
ferdinando
Site Admin

Re: Thinkcap release 0.9.1

Postby ferdinando » 06 Aug 2013 9:38 am

...the distribution I uploaded yesterday was a corrupted file, sorry. I just uploaded a fixed one - sorry for the mishap.

ferdinando
ferdinando
Site Admin

Postby rmanrique » 06 Aug 2013 11:55 am

Hi Ferdinando, I installed the new version this morning, now it appears that all projects have a lot of errors, I will let you know if I found problems... have a good day.
R.
rmanrique

Postby rmanrique » 06 Aug 2013 12:03 pm

OK, fastly the first problems: I cannot start the server (server busy), and I cannot see the location test areas (in ia.agriculture), so I cannot upload the context areas...
R.
rmanrique

Postby ferdinando » 06 Aug 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Rosa - not sure about the server not starting, but the errors should go away after you pull changes... as I explained there have been changes in the language, so I changed the projects to update them. You may have a previous server running from another version, see if things change after a reboot.

Ciao f
ferdinando
Site Admin

Postby rmanrique » 06 Aug 2013 12:20 pm

I pulled (nothing updated) and re-started, the more strange is that the context areas have dissapeared. I will do it again.
R.
rmanrique

Postby rmanrique » 06 Aug 2013 12:40 pm

I don't know, the problem remains, if I go to the ia.agriculture.location.test the main error says: "imported namespace im.geo not available for ia. agriculture.location.test: please add a dependency on a project that provides it"... may be I can try to import the agriculture project again, how cancel a projet and import it again?
R.
rmanrique

Postby ferdinando » 06 Aug 2013 12:45 pm

Do you have all the other projects (im, org.aries, ...)? Your workspace may be out of sync, or there may be conflicts that are hard to see and prevent things from compiling properly. Not an impossible event if you have been away from the code a while. It's a bit of a pain but maybe you could start with a fresh workspace (File->Switch Workspace and enter a directory that does not exist), then import everything once more. I'm working to make that easier so you all get those projects transparently, but for now it's still on you, sorry about that.

Also I see people still have trouble with server status notification, so I'm also making some changes there - at the moment things work just fine for me, but different computers bring up sync problems I never see. There will be a new release in a few days that hopefully will make that more robust - just use the button on the Server view to check.

f
ferdinando
Site Admin

Postby rmanrique » 06 Aug 2013 12:58 pm

ferdinando wrote:Do you have all the other projects (im, org.aries, ...)?
In fact I dont have im!!! how can I import it?

(File->Switch Workspace and enter a directory that does not exist), then import everything once more.
I will do after have imported im or it is better to do all the import step again in another workspace?

Also I see people still have trouble with server status notification, so I'm also making some changes there - at the moment things work just fine for me, but different computers bring up sync problems I never see. There will be a new release in a few days that hopefully will make that more robust - just use the button on the Server view to check.

every time I try to start the server the program start conecting to the server but then indicates that server is busy then after a while appears disconnected.

f
rmanrique

Next

Return to News and Announcements