Thinklab/ARIES WEBINAR - SEPTEMBER 12, 2014 (Q&A)

channel to manage registrations and Q&A sessions for the Thinklab/ARIES WEBINARS

Thinklab/ARIES WEBINAR - SEPTEMBER 12, 2014 (Q&A)

Postby elenapm » 19 Aug 2014 3:40 pm

Dear Member,
The organizers of the annual International Spring University on Ecosystem Services Modelling (http://www.bc3research.org/springuniversity/index.php) are happy to inform you that they plan to launch a series of webinars starting in September 2014. The aim of the series is to help build the Integrated Modelling community by providing all members with updates on progress with the software and models, and to offer a platform to demonstrate new case study applications in Thinklab. The webinars will thus function as a vehicle for collaboration and a chance to ask questions related to Thinklab that are more appropriate for group discussion than those addressed using the forum.
The first of the series is scheduled for Friday, September 12th at 4:00-5:30 CEST.

To book a place, please send an email expressing your interest to elena.perezminana@bc3research.org

Webinar outline
    I. Welcome including a description of the goals/purpose of the series
    II. Thinklab/ARIES. Software Updates
    III. Case study: modelling sediment regulation in Hawaii
    IV. Q&A.
NOTE: in order to ensure that as many questions as possible are addressed during the webinar, the topic entitled “Thinklab/ARIES webinar Q&A” has been created in the forum. Between now and September 12, feel free to post under this topic, any outstanding questions or issues you would like to discuss during the webinar.

For further information, please contact us at elena.perezminana@bc3research.org
elenapm

Re: Thinklab/ARIES WEBINAR - SEPTEMBER 12, 2014 (Q&A)

Postby marta.pascual » 25 Aug 2014 12:22 am

Will the webinar be recorded for those of us unable to attend it due to time zone differences? If so, where would it be posted and how will we be able to access it?

Thanks!
marta.pascual

Postby brian.voigt » 25 Aug 2014 5:17 pm

We will record the webinar, and a link to the recorded material will be posted on the user forum. If you know you're not able to attend, but have questions you'd like addressed, make sure to post your question to the forum ahead of time.
brian.voigt

Postby alelanotte » 08 Sep 2014 12:18 pm

Since three months (more or less), whenever I try to pull im, org.aries, etc. I receive the error: check out conflicts with files META-INF/thinklab.properties
I probably should update Thinklab when I open it but last time I did it it was a total mess: I had to disinstall and re-install.
The installation process took almost 10 days because the steps reported in the sheet just did not work (more details can be provided on this if necessary).
2 Questions:
What can be done to pull the library?
Since may 2014 has the installation process been improved?
alelanotte

Postby dario.masante » 08 Sep 2014 4:23 pm

Hello,
I have some questions/doubts, please pick anyone that is relevant to the webinar themes:
- Projects from bitbucket have several branches, how to choose among them, where to find infos about that?
- Any news about the SPAN modules?
- Why working models some times just stop working? Sounds silly, but I posted more at modeling issues section on this forum
- Working with BNs, how to map uncertainty directly from the model run? That must be somewhere already, but I can't find it..
Thank you!
Dario
dario.masante

Postby alelanotte » 10 Sep 2014 9:35 am

Ref. shape files with multiple fields

in the 'ontology' section we report the qualities/quantities/etc we are going to use, making sure we use the same denomination used in the BN (isn't it?)

in the 'data annotation' section we 'visualize' the shape file we are going to use and we also indicate the shp-field-attributes we are going to use. In this section we 'name' both the shape file and the shp-field-attributes. About the shp-field-attribute: should the name correspond to the denomination put in the ontology and (thus) in the BN? If it does not correspond, does this make any difference?

in the 'model annotation' section: when we 'observe' the shp-field-attributes, how can we be sure that the field of the shape file is the right one?
1-because we used the same 'name' in the ontology, in the BN and in the 'data annotation' (NB the name differs from the one within the shape file)
2-because we used the same name in the ontology and the BN, and a similar (but not the same) name in the 'data annotation'? (NB the name differs from the one within the shape file)
3-because...what?

The question might look trivial, but actually I experienced the possibility n.2 and it seems to work; so I wonder what is the mechanism that allows the model to catch the exact shp-field-attribute from the shape file if the denomination of 'data annotation' is not the same used in the ontology and BN.
I also wonder what is the role of 'named' in the 'data annotation' section (just the visualization on project list window?)
Thank you
Alessandra
Last edited by alelanotte on 10 Sep 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
alelanotte

Postby alelanotte » 10 Sep 2014 9:46 am

Ref. Ontology and BN

When we build the BN, is it a good practice to look FIRST in the im library and try to write the concepts that are already there accordingly (isn't it?)

Would it be correct to assume that the attribute we use should have the same denominantion reported in the library, but its (disjoint) children can be different (i.e. do we have flexibility to frame the attribute according to the BN framework?)

In many projects I haven't found an ontology fully developed and that is not in line with the whole philosophy of ARIES. To what extent should the 'Ontology' section be developed?
Thank you
Alessandra
alelanotte

Postby alelanotte » 10 Sep 2014 10:20 am

Ref. aestetic view

This is a specific question and I am not sure this webinar is the right moment to ask.
However I try (you never know).

In the (mountain-region related) aestetic view (source) model that we have built in connection with fodder production-meadows-for-livestock, we have in the BN three intermediate nodes : topographic features (mountains and water bodies), natural beauty of landscape (heterogeneity and presence of landscape management) and cultural landscape (human -made features).
the ONLY node we need to model (for our purpose) is natural beauty of landscape. Although we have found in the im library corresponding concepts for heterogeneity and presence of landscape management, we cannot find a proper attribute for natural beauty of landscape that is framed in high-, moderate- and low- degrees.
we have through that 'value' could be the right one but the meaning described in the library only allows economic terms, not "quality" terms (in fact we got error in the model annotation' section)

Does it currently exists in the library a concept able to represent the natural beauty of the landscape? (we have looked in aries.es.aesteticview: 'natural beauty' is there but it's not a concept)
If the concept is there: what is the concept? how shold the ontology for natural beauty of landscape should be written?
Thank you
Alessandra
alelanotte

Postby cpgeevan » 12 Sep 2014 8:11 am

1) Will be very helpful if there is a synopsis or a small note on the case study. It will make it easier for those unfamiliar with the study to follow the discussion.
Hope a note on the case study can be shared or posted here.

2) Also, either before or after the Webinar, share a note on the latest developments on ARIES and an updated guide to installation. With all the issues reported, I gave up. Look forward to this as an opportunity to "RE-BOOT"!

Thanks.
C.P.Geevan
CESC/Ahmedabad/India
Cell +91-9824283954; email:cpgeevan@gmail.com
cpgeevan

Postby elenapm » 15 Sep 2014 12:08 pm

Thinklab/ARIES WEBINAR - SEPTEMBER 12, 2014 Video

Recording of the Thinklab/ARIES webinar that took place on September 12th, is now available

Go to link: https://vimeo.com/106150454
Password: vc5e69440B5h
elenapm

Next

Return to Thinklab/ARIES WEBINARS